Ever wonder what a famous or rich celebritys’ cellar looks like and what is inside it? Do you need a cellar to store your wine collection? Want a place to hide in when the next natural disaster hits or criminals invade your home? Does your family can and preserve jars of food that lasts years but you need more storage for them? Here are 5 ways to create an excellent cellar specifically tailored for you.
- Decide first what you intend to put in your cellar. Is it going to contain lots of wine and spirits and store preserved sauces, soups, salsa or home canned fruits and vegetables? Once you figure out what is going to be in your new cellar, guesstimate the dimensions you will need for this construction project. Build it near the basement stairs for easy access during cooking, for parties or even upstairs in an adjacent room closest to the kitchen for even quicker access. TOTL Building & Design has a great design and construction crew at a reasonable price.
- Choose a hardwood like Teak, Black oak, etc. for walls, floor and ceiling since these hardwood’s keep the cellar cool and make it easier to clean and sterilize, plus make it harder for insects to hide within. Using metal is even better for a temporary safe room but is more expensive, yet keeps the ambient temperature constant and is more effective to deter a break-in or criminals trying to get inside it. Use quality wood and the coldest resistant insulation to keep your cellar cool and at the temperature you desire. A cellar of this quality will keep people out and the coolness in.
- An unbreakable stainless steel security lock is recommended. I recommend the type that you have to punch in numbers. Contact your nearest Alarm installer or buy a metal door which can keep the kids and B&E experts from getting inside your new cellar and stealing your favorite Champagne or aged Scotch Whiskey. A secure cellar is also the perfect place to locate your fire proof safe to store your valuables in.
- Refrigeration units and smart temperature regulation devices ensure the cellar will remain at a constant certain temperature. They can even be set from your cellphone. Very handy for turning the heat up or lowering the room’s temperature, especially in the hot summer months!!!
- Include interior independent wine racks, shelving, a freezer and a second fridge are excellent additions to your cellar and should be a perfect way to keep your main kitchen fridge organized and not cluttered.
You will enjoy the benefits of more free space in your kitchen cupboards, shelves and counters. It is a great idea to have a cellar which allows you to have extra storage with easy access. Should you require any assistance with this type of project contact TOTL Building & Design for remodeling your basement.